guest.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4840 9
How much are you using the gear in your racks?
My, how things change.

Of all the stuff you probably have racked up, how much of it do you actually consistently use?

Because I have a console to hold my picks, screwdrivers and various crap.

And an enormous 4 bay 36 space wall that I only use 40% of.

Max.

If I would recap my console, a dumpy old soundcraft, and it was reallllly punchy and clean, I would be using it as a front end and to monitor through.. maybe mix through? It would be fun, but nope on the recall. Just like me, a fucking goldfish.

..that now administrate a fancy forum in the middle of nowhere..

I MAY NEVER RECAP IT.
Actually … after the rack gear over the years being used less and less during the covid years it made it re-apearance to the point that it is currently back in full on use … all of it. Pre’s comps eq’s fx …

Mostly revitalised and started by the new generation going ‘hey dad can I blah such and such …’

Did the journey from all outboard to all plugins to hybrid to hybrid with 1 or 2 key pieces of outboard only back to now full hybrid with a preference to a lot of the rack gear.

And no …. Not because it is better ! Definitely not. Different at best. I do firmly believe that in the box can be as good.

But man I do like turning the knobs on some of that rack gear

Chris
(03-17-2023, 08:53 PM)crunch Wrote: My, how things change.

Of all the stuff you probably have racked up, how much of it do you actually consistently use?

Because I have a console to hold my picks, screwdrivers and various crap.

I use my preamps and that's about it. After I converted to the MTRX Studio, I kept extra AD/DA around to have my meager outboard (little but good, the original Knif Vari-Mu, a Knif Joiku spring, an EMT 140 etc) and Vintagedesign "Neve" summing available, but I have not actually used them ever since that upgrade. Big Grin 

I'm totally spoiled by offline bounce on a fast computer and even remote connecting from home, and over half of my work is 5.1, 7.1 or Atmos (film/game score stuff and "regular" music).
I know you guys will laugh, and not in a good way, but I have Dolby Atmos on my phone and audio sounds awesome through it. Different.. probably better.. It's more flattering in ye olde headphones? I have enormous headphones I use with it. I'm basically a luddite with contemporary crap? 

And yeah, the 40% of the rack I use is all preamps, monitor controllers and monitor switching.

Still retaining the piss-poor attitude though!

Heart
I don't do a whole lot of studio stuff these days (I've switched careers to fixing audio gear) but when I do...

For tracking, not a lot, generally a few outboard comps.

For mixing though I often patch heaps of stuff in. And then I'll often go grab guitar pedals and stuff like that on top of the outboard. In some cases it's because I don't have a plugin that does what I need in that minute, but I think often it's more of a way to break the monotony of the screen rather than a quest for sonic perfection.

It's like the tape rewinding thing- it gives you a minute to breathe/think/talk/etc.

Taking 5 minutes to patch in an outboard reverb and play with settings can be a great reset when your ticker can't take yet another cup of coffee to wake yourself up, whereas launching another reverb plugin just feels mechanical sometimes.

Plus, having limited units and/or controls can stop you going up your own ass and overthinking the way you can with plugins.
Well I recently got a Neve 8816 and used it on a client mix today. That’s its first use. I’m trying to keep a modest amount of pretty good analog gear to go along with the ITB stuff and I imagine I’ll be hybrid for some time. Todays signal path out of the DAW was -

Metric Halo ULN8s sending out groups
Neve 8816 summing
Smart C1 bus compressor
Arsenal Audio Eq
Into a Silver Bullet tone box

Instant glue and width, sounded great, got there quickly. Probably more quickly than I would have if ITB only.

So my answer to the OP is that I’ve picked up just a little more outboard and plan on being hybrid and using outboard for the foreseeable future. With my studio being small and private I can make it just right for me, and therefore I really use the stuff I have. Anything I’m not using has to go - I don’t have the space or money for anything I’m not using. I was far more ITB for a stretch but have doubled down on having some good analog signal paths for my space and in this excitement I’m using all of it more.
My rack synths and outboard FX are gathering dust; I do intend to fire them up again someday, once I have a more permanent space.

About the only brick 'n' mortar I'm using these days outside of my controller keyboard is my tabletop Apollo Solo (Heritage Edition). It allegedly has a 610A and a 610B built in if you count the accompanying plug-ins interacting with the internal electronics via UAD Fucking Magic™. Now what I need is a better LDC.
Everything itb here - except for preamps, monitor controller, a compressor / fx for monitoring vocals whilst recording and a quack.
Dolly made her living off her rack!

Sorry ?
Don't be. If she can joke about it, so can you.